- Brady Wallace (ACE 2014)
Accountability, Community, Excellence.
We are a group of motivated individuals who have a shared vision to collectively strive:
- To hold ourselves to the highest level of accountability in all of our dealings as elected representatives of SFU’s undergraduate student body.
- To continue to build a strong sense of community on campus by hosting the highest calibre events possible for our students and supporting student-led initiatives that align with the vision of building
- To set the example for student societies across North America, by exceeding the standard and providing excellence in all aspects of the Simon Fraser Student Society’s mandate as listed in the Constitution.
To my fellow Arts and Social Science students,
I am a second year Political Science Major and Development and Sustainability Minor, running to be your Faculty Representative. While my time at SFU has been short, I have been actively involved with the Society of Arts and Social Sciences (SASS,) a student union which has worked to provide large-scale events for the benefit of students within the Arts faculty. Dedicating my time to SASS, especially its Student Life committee, I have served as a Frosh leader as well as part of the promotional team for our various social events. My involvement with SASS has provided me with the necessary experience and skills to be your SFSS Arts Representative.
My three main goals as Arts Representative include:
- Recognizing the interests of all departments in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS),
and working alongside them to achieve their goals. I will identify interests through
communication with Departmental Student Unions (DSU’s), and faculty administration. I will explore options to increase funding for expanding programs like International Studies, and for reducing the number of Sessional Instructors in the Arts faculty.
- Heightening my involvement with SASS to connect Arts students.. As our faculty is the largest at SFU, with over twenty diverse programs offered at three campuses, it is difficult to organize one single event which has the ability to appeal to all members of our diverse community. However by working closely with SASS and DSU executives, multiple smaller targeted events can be broadcasted in order to engage more of the faculty as a whole.
- Continue to advocate for the implementation of a Student Development Officer (SDO): a full-time staff person within FASS whose role is to serve as a direct link between students, faculty, administration, alumni, and the community. Other faculties with similar positions have shown successful enrichment of their student body. The currents Arts Representative has been working on an SDO proposal throughout her term, continuing the vision of her predecessor, and it is a proposal that I also see great value in. With turnover of the Board of Directors happening every year, continuity for projects is essential. The Dean’s Office has provided good feedback surrounding this idea and progress has been steads, but it is critical that momentum for this position continues in order to ensure it is established.
If you have any questions or suggestions regarding my platform, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com
Thank you for taking the time to read over my platform; with your support I look forward to serving our faculty as its next Arts and Social Sciences Representative.