Improvement, achievement, progress. Words we can use to describe stepping stones on our paths to success. My name is Akashdeep Brar, and those are three things that I believe as students of Simon Fraser University, we all seek. As a student of the Beedie School of Business here at Simon Fraser, I know how critical involvement is to pave a path to success. With my own involvement in various student clubs (being a part of BASS events, SMA, and campus wide such as Club for the Cure’s Surrey chapter and PSA), I have also seen how much of a tight-knit, exclusive community Beedie really is. I aim to create more opportunity for both student involvement as well as scholarly success, as well as spread the sense of community not just for Beedie, but for Simon Fraser as a whole. My involvement with the school, with Beedie, previous volunteer experience, and my role with SOAR Philanthropic Society (a non-profit organization) have made me truly realize how important community is, and how more opportunities, be it financial (scholarships, for example) or scholarly (faculty club related), are essential to create a path for greater success for everyone.
What I seek to do, as the Faculty of Business Representative for SFSS is a number of things:
- Represent the needs of, and address any issues of Beedie students to SFSS
- Push for policy that makes use of funds in a way such that benefits the most amount of students rather than a small group (such as educational opportunities through scholarships or bursaries instead of events that appeal to smaller portions of our student population)
- Working with SFSS to remove the current state of disconnect that exists between faculties in a communal sense; to make our community inclusive, rather than exclusive. This would include enhancing the communications of SFSS and our student clubs, to make it easier for everyone and anyone to become more involved in campus events and club opportunities.
I aim to improve the SFU student life and with SFSS, make Beedie a better experience for all. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at email@example.com so I may address them
Accountability, Community, Excellence.
We are a group of motivated individuals who have a shared vision to collectively strive:
- To hold ourselves to the highest level of accountability in all of our dealings as elected representatives of SFU’s undergraduate student body.
- To continue to build a strong sense of community on campus by hosting the highest calibre events possible for our students and supporting student-led initiatives that align with the vision of building
- To set the example for student societies across North America, by exceeding the standard and providing excellence in all aspects of the Simon Fraser Student Society’s mandate as listed in the Constitution.
SHADNAM KHAN – SFSS BUSINESS FACULTY REPRESENTATIVE
My name is Shadnam Khan and I am running to be your Business Faculty Representative for the Simon Fraser Student Society. I am a third year student intending to concentrate on Entrepreneurship and Innovation and MIS. My involvement with SFSS committees and events has given me a solid understanding of the organization and I have demonstrated my passion for student involvement through every initiative I have been a part of. My interaction and work with current board members have made me realize how valuable we can make the Society for all stakeholders, including students, staff and administration.
My goals as your representative will be as follows:
- Be an active voice for fellow business students on the SFSS board and help promote Beedie events and activities to ensure greater success.
- Help the Business Administration Student Society executives meet their objectives and mobilize support through the SFSS whenever possible.
- Advocate for greater funding for business clubs
All Business students are my constituents and I am looking forward to making life outside academics as rewarding as possible. I am one business student out of 3,400+ students currently enrolled in Beedie. As your representative and with the collective understanding of all business clubs, BASS and
business students, I want to work on the formation of the Business Faculty
Student Union (FSU) and empower willing business clubs towards the
formation of Departmental Student Unions (DSUs).
Additionally, in order to maximize your experience at SFU as a whole, I hope to accomplish these broader goals during my term as an SFSS Board Director:
- Organize and execute more relevant events that bring the community together.
- Assist the SFSS Board of Directors and the Food and Beverage Services’ General Manager to reduce the FBS deficit without taking away some of the subsidized services being provided.
- Assist the SFSS Board of Directors and staff to encourage greater activity in clubs and Departmental Student Unions (DSUs).
- Participate and offer insight for budgeting that ensures funds are directed towards the initiatives that add value to student life.
A little bit about myself
My work experience includes involvement in family business and internships in retail and manufacturing firms, where I have worked with product development, marketing and distribution. I have vast international volunteer experience working for wildlife rehabilitation, special-needs schools and environmental education for youth around Asia. I completed high school in Hong Kong at an international boarding school on scholarship. I will bring much needed diversity to the SFSS Board through my well-rounded experience.
At SFU, I have been an international student and exchange student mentor and am in excellent academic standing within the Business faculty. I have organized two sold-out pub nights, organized fundraising drives and various other SFSS social and outreach events over the past year. I am currently the
Finance and Ticketing Officer for the SFSS Spring Sendoff 2014 Concert.
It would be an honour to serve as your Business Representative for 2014-15. I hope you share my vision for a better and united SFU and I am confident that together we can work towards achieving those goals and build real community. If you have any questions about my campaign, platform or about myself please do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or https://www.facebook.com/ShadnamKhan. Join my campaign at bit.ly/ACE_Khan