Vote Gloria Mellesmoen for Education Faculty Representative
I am a second year student pursuing a double major in English and Linguistics with a minor in Educational Psychology. After graduation, I would like to do PDP in preparation to become a high school teacher. Education is a passion that I have had for most of my life and I would love to be able to represent those like myself.
I have been involved in the Simon Fraser Student Society since my first semester at SFU when I became an executive of the Linguistics Student Union (LSU) and a member-at-large of the SFU NDP club. In my second semester, I was tasked with the goal of rebooting the English Student Union (ESU) as the new president. Currently, I serve as the events coordinator and treasurer for the LSU as well as the president and SFSS Forum Representative for the ESU. I believe this makes me an ideal candidate for Education Faculty Representative because I have experience with the SFSS, a variety of different student union roles, and building community.
Community grows best when implemented from the ground up. I would love to work with students in their first or second year to shape the kind of network between students that flourishes with time. Education is an incredibly social experience and I would love to be the leader to nurture it for my fellow students. If elected as Education Faculty Representative, I will strive to create the groundwork for a community that will survive after my term.
If elected, I will:
– Organize an event in Fall semester dedicated to encouraging new students to get involved with the Education department and the SFSS
– Create networking opportunities, such as social mixers, that are inclusive to undergraduate students, graduate students, those in PDP, and faculty
– Work to create a more inclusive community that reaches out to those in teachable majors and Education minors
– Help the Education Student Association to become a more active fixture in the SFSS community
– Work with Out On Campus to create a series of workshops dedicated to educating future educators about sensitive topics, such as sexuality, and how to deal with it in a classroom setting
As a second year student, I am the ideal candidate for this position. I am highly ambitious and ready to lend my energy to revitalizing the Education community as someone who will experience the effect of the actions I take in the years to come. A vote for me is a vote for an accountable and driven representative dedicated to building a lasting community in Education.